Oxygen is present in natural gas as well as in the environment. Liquid petroleum, natural gas, liquid form of the same contains a part of oxygen naturally. Oxygen is contained in a vacuum system, coal mines, and oil recovery systems. Several pipeline techniques require natural gas and they must have a specific amount of oxygen. This may be required in the gas dryers. LPG uses the processing of air to reduce the calorific value and get air balancing. Here, let’s explore the process of removing oxygen from natural gas.
Things to remember before the oxygen removal process
If oxygen is present in natural gas, it can create a hazardous situation. This can create corrosion on the machines, and it will increase the maintenance and replacement costs. Moreover, oxygen reacts with hydrogen sulfide to produce sulfur. Oxygen also forms oxidation of glycol solvents which are used in acid gas removal and drying plants.
- Types of the oxygen-filled natural gas system: Oxygen can be found in several natural gas sources. These streams include vacuum, traditional pipeline, and so on. Vacuum systems include coal mines, oil recovery systems, and landfills. Traditional pipelines contain 100 ppm oxygen.
- Purpose of removing oxygen from gas: Oxygen is already present in the natural gas sources and this can create various issues in the machine processes. When you opt for oxygen removal from natural gas, it removes the threat of corrosion on the pipelines and in the machines. If oxygen is not removed it can create damage on the pipelines rendering them useless for future use.
- Expert’s opinion: Oxygen is difficult to extract from natural gas. It requires high-end technologies that are either not available or not yet discovered. On the other hand, the market opportunities are limited as well. It can cost a few thousand bucks for the removal project, and there are insufficient methods.
Oxygen removal processes from natural gas:
Few processes can be followed to separate oxygen from natural gas. Although they are costly, it’s not impossible.
- Natural Gas BTU Rating of natural gas: To extract oxygen from natural gas, it’s important to check the British thermal unit of the gas. With this system, oxygen can be removed without spending much after the project. Companies are opting for this option to get tax breaks and subsidies. However, there is no single procedure that has achieved the full-proof result.
- Landfill Gas recovery: This is a very costly and risky recovery technique and requires modern equipment. However, you can earn great revenue from the recovery process. In recent days, some companies are offering catalyst-based procedures for the removal of oxygen from natural gas.
- Sieve or molecular gate process: This process includes pores of similar sizes to the gas. This helps to separate the gases. This is a new technology, and it requires further development. Also, the price is quite high.
Metal treatment is another process of oxygen removal from natural gas. In this procedure, a stream of hydrocarbon gas is channeled over the metal, this allows the oxygen in the gas to react with the metals and separate. Different types of metals can be used such as silver, nickel, iron, copper, and cobalt.
Chemical Products Industries Also Offers Following Services:
Chemical Products Industries, Inc. Address: 7649 SW 34th St, Oklahoma City, OK Phone: (800) 624-4356