Bone marrow is defined as a spongy and soft tissue that is located inside bones. Bone marrows produce and develop maximum blood cells inside the body.
What is Bone Marrow Transplant?
Bone marrow transplant is performed on patients with severe diseases like cancers, anemia, etc. This transplant process includes few steps, like selecting and taking cells from bone marrow, filtering those cells from intoxications. Then, those cells are returned to the bone marrow of the donor or any other patients. The perception of Bone Marrow Transplant is to deliver healthy bone marrow cells to the patient while treating and killing the abnormal bone marrow cells.
Why do people need Bone Marrow Transplant?
Bone marrow transplant is performed to cure severe diseases includes varieties of cancers. You should know that when a cancer patient is going through chemotherapy, their bone marrow stem cells can get destroyed permanently due to the high radiation. The need for Bone Marrow Transplant occurs in that situation. Sometimes Bone Marrow Transplant is needed while the bone marrow gets damaged for a disease.
- i) A Bone Marrow Transplant helps to replace malfunctioned, damaged bone marrow with healthy bone marrow. These bone marrows can get damaged due to diseases like Leukaemia, Sickle cell anemia, etc.
- ii) If any patient has a disease like Hurler’s Syndrome, then the chances of Bone Marrow Transplant occur. It helps to restore the damaged bone marrow with the genetically well-functioned bone marrow. It allows the prevention of the excessive damage of the genetic disease process.
iii) Basically, bone marrow gets damaged due to high chemotherapy or radiation doses while treating malignant disease. Then Bone Marrow Transplant is done to replace the normal function of that damaged cells.
- iv) Bone Marrow Transplant can also be done to revive the new immune system that will provide safety to the body from Leukemia and other types of cancers.
Types of Bone Marrow Transplant (BMT)
Different types of Bone Marrow transplants are available to prevent the damage of critical diseases.
- Allogenic Bone Marrow Transplant: This is a type of Bone Marrow Transplant where the donor donates the same genetic type cells as the patient. Stem cells are collected by the bone marrow harvest method. Stem cells can be taken from genetically matched donors also such as brother and sister.
- Autologous Bone Marrow Transplant: In this BMT process, stem cells are collected from the body and returned to his body after the treatment. Bone marrow harvest or apheresis method is included in this transplant process.
- Umbilical Cord blood transplant:In this process, the stem cells are collected from the umbilical cord after the delivery occurs. Then these cells are developed, tested, and restored till they become mature enough for transplantation.
Bone Marrow Transplant is pretty effective in curing some diseases like Leukemia, Lymphomas, Immune deficiency disorder, anemia, malignant tumors, etc. But blood cancer bone marrow transplant is not applicable for all patients who are suffering from these diseases. It varies on the type and condition of certain diseases.
Gift of Life Marrow Registry Also Offers Following Services :
Gift of Life Marrow Registry Address: 800 Yamato Rd suite 101 Boca Raton, FL Phone: (800) 962-7769